Monday, November 4, 2013

Chapter 7: Humility and Holiness


1.       How do the truths in this chapter apply to your personal spiritual life?

 

I found this chapter to be really a great reminder that even striving to be humble and serve God can develop into a pride of its own.  “Every seeker after holiness needs to be on his guard, lest unconsciously what was begun in the spirit be perfected in the flesh, and pride creep in where its presence is least expected.”  It was interesting what Murray notes in that comparison of ourselves to others can be evidence of lack of humility.  That “Pride can clothe itself in the garments of praise or of penitence.”  We can be so focused on being humble and concentrate on that that we lose the true source of humility by losing focus on the One who is humility.  What I especially liked was Murray’s caution that the pride of humility is subtle, but there is an alternative.  Focusing on God and consciously studying humility can help prevent this subtle development of pride.  I know that in my own walk with God it seems that when I honestly surrender something to Him and yet remain mindful and intentional to seek Him rather than seek relief from my circumstances, He provides peace and the true ability to ride out those waves.  If I get distracted by comparing myself to another or if I am tempted to “feel better” by thinking that at least I’m more together than someone else, I’m not being true to God.  I’m letting my flesh intervene.  I’m letting that sinful part of me take hold. 

 

2.       How do the truths in this chapter apply to your leadership role in Classical Conversations?

 

This is an interesting question regarding counterfeit humility.  As a director, it is easy to be the visible person guiding a community.  I think it is important for a director to be purposeful in leading the community and following CC’s guidelines, but it is important to be careful of feeling too important.  It is a choice to serve as a director, and it is fantastic when families are appreciative of that service.  I think it is very important to give that up, to surrender that to God otherwise we are at risk of acting humble even if our hearts aren’t being humble.  I do work hard to do my best and diligently serve the families in my community, but I must keep in the forefront of my heart and mind that the community is God’s and that it is not credit to me when things are going well.  I can best serve my community by releasing it to God’s care and just following His lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment