HUMILITY
How do the truths in this chapter apply to your
personal spiritual life?
How do the truths in this chapter apply to your
leadership role within Classical Conversations?
What parallels in
literature do you see that apply or reference these same truths from this
chapter?
CHAPTER SIX
Humility in Daily Life
My spiritual life
One aspect I had opportunity to grow in when I
was ill for an extended time was long-suffering.
I hadn’t even noticed ‘long-suffering’ to be a fruit of the Spirit until I had been
sick a couple of years. I grew because I was forced, by pain, to be subject to
suffering without relief, and to accept help, continually, without having
anything to return. This humbled me greatly. There were many times I “accepted”
it begrudgingly (in my inner spirit) and with constant anticipation of when I’d
be able to return the favor to those helping me. But then the ways I (and my
family) was helped became too bountiful, too generous, and too enormous for me
to ever repay the debt. I had to learn
to accept my station and to live humbly within it. By the grace of God, I grew
in ability, else I would have become bitter and tired and worthless.
Now that I have my faculties returned, and am in
relative health and strength, I find my need for humility different and the
same. The old self that does things in my own strength still strives for
perfection at times. I’m a recovering perfectionist. And I long for full
healing from it. It keeps me always measuring myself and others, and it has
nothing righteous to say about my worth before God or man.
My need for humility is the same. My old self
sometimes measured myself above, and the sick, weak self measured below, and
both were falsehoods. Both were from the enemy. I reject them both, and find
myself now in desperate need of my one true place and station, a slave of my
King, and a daughter in need of grace. Come, humility, come.
Leadership within CC
I think this scripture, from the preface of the
chapter, sums up the proper position of my heart and leadership in CC (and
everyday life):
For
anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom
he has not seen. – 1 John 4:20
All the leadership skills and organizational
prowess in the world are nothing without humility, love, gentleness, compassion,
kindness, and long-suffering. Every day. Every person. No exceptions.
Literature
I love the writings of Amy Carmichael. For years
I read her work unaware of the great suffering she endured the last portion of
her life. Now that I know, I receive something else altogether when I read her.
This chapter from a devotional, I Come
Quietly to Meet You, has stayed with me as whispers of humility.
Come
Forth As Gold
Dear
friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has yet to been made
known. But we know that when he appears we will be like him, for we shall see
him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is
pure.
– 1 John 3:2-3
Through these months, acceptance has been a word of liberty and victory and peace to me.
But it has never meant acquiescence in illness, as though evil circumstances
were from Him who delights to deck His servants with health.
But it did mean contentment with
unexplained. Neither Job nor Paul ever knew (so far as we know) why prayer for
relief was answered as it was- with long, initial silence. But I think they
must now stand in awe and joy, as they meet others in the heavenly country who
were strengthened and comforted by their patience and courage. They must stand
in awe, too, as they understand now the Father’s thoughts of peace toward them.
Hardly a life goes deep but has tragedy
somewhere in it. What would such people do without Job? And who could spare
from the soul’s hidden history the great words spoken to the Apostle Paul: “My
grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians
12:9). Such words lead straight to a land where there is gold, and the gold of
that land is good.
Gold-
the word recalls Job’s affirmation: “But he knows the way that I take; when he
has tested me, I will come forth as gold” (Job 23:10). And it recalls the
ringing words of the Apostle Peter: “[All kinds of trials come] so that your
faith- of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by grief-
may be proved genuine” (1 Peter 1:7). And it brings the quiet words in Malachi:
“He will set as a refiner and purifier of silver…” (Malachi 3:3).
(I have often thanked God that the word
there is not gold but silver, an important shift, I think.
Silver is of little account here in the Far East, and I often feel more like
silver than gold.)
The picture of the Refiner is straight from
Eastern life. The Eastern goldsmith sits on the floor by his crucible. For me,
at least, it is not hard to know why the heavenly Refiner has to sit so long.
The heart knows its own dross.
“How do you know how long to sit and wait?
How do you know when it is purified?” we asked our village goldsmith.
“When I can see my face in it,” he replied.
Blessed by the love that
never wearies, never gives up hope that, even in such poor metal our Father may
at last see the reflection of His face.
MY
FATHER, IF YOU are working into me some traits I would not have chosen to work
in myself (for example, patience!), then I ask for your grace to carry me
through.
“Purify”
me of everything but perfect acceptance in you…
Thank you, Lord, for Amy Carmichael’s heart and
words. Thank you for refining me by the way of acceptance, which breathes
humility.
No comments:
Post a Comment