The phrase that came to mind while I read this chapter was, “The
proof is in the pudding.” I can remember
my mom saying that when I was growing up.
I always thought that it was a strange thing to say. As an adult with children of my own, it makes
more sense. Something could look fine on
the outside but once you taste it, or delve deeper into it, you find out how
good it really is. I may appear to have
priorities straight, but if I am not giving my family the attention they need
and deserve, I may find myself dealing with problem communication in my
marriage or discipline issues with my kids.
I guess in a nutshell, the take-away for me is that there are no short
cuts. It is in the small details of
everyday life that I will show my true self.
The way I interact with my children over breakfast or during hurried
minutes between appointments or activities tells more about my heart for them
and for the Lord than anything I might teach them during our “school”
time.
The same is true regarding my role as a director with CC. My outside "self" during our community day may communicate what I desire, but if I am not praying for the families in our community and reaching out to them when we aren't meeting for community, then this says something about my heart. It is true that my time is limited and there is always more that I could do, but the point for me in this chapter is that the small, daily things matter and show the truth inside. Seeking humility and demonstrating that through my daily interactions with others is what will demonstrate my true humility to Him.
My favorite quote from this chapter is:
“…the insignificance
of daily life are the importance and the tests of eternity, because they prove
what really is the spirit that possesses us.”
No comments:
Post a Comment