CHAPTER FIVE
HUMILITY IN THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS
“The greatest among you
should be like the youngest,
and the one who rules
like the one who serves.”
–
Luke 22:26, pg 44
My spiritual life
Prior to reading this chapter, I
had never considered how humility is manifest in me only because of Pentecost.
It makes sense to me now, how the disciples could be so committed to Jesus, yet
at times, lacking in such profoundly basic ways.
“Nothing
works but this: that the new nature in its divine humility be revealed in power
to take the place of the old- to become our true nature.” -Pg. 47
I find myself still before the
Lord, longing for the fullness of humility to be manifest in me. Helpless to
help myself. Just longing and waiting.
Leadership within CC
As a director, I am moved to lead
with the heart of this passage:
Let
us consider how far the disciples were advanced while this grace was still
lacking, and let us pray that other gifts may not so satisfy us that we never
grasp the fact that the absence of humility is no doubt the reason why the
power of God cannot do its might work. It is only where we, like the Son, truly
know and show that we can do nothing of ourselves that God will do everything.”
– pg 49
Literature
I’m fixated on farmers right now. In reading
books like “Animal, Vegetable Miracle” and “Hannah Coulter” and “Whole” and
“Vegetable Literacy”, I’m struck by the necessary humility of the farmer. A
farmer has plenty of variables s/he can control (many related to the
development of good soil), but at the end of the day, the farmer is dependent
on the climate- sun and water, which are variables the farmer cannot control,
and without proper respect for them, his crop and whole life withers.
No comments:
Post a Comment