There are two things that really stood out to me in this
chapter.
First, the disciples were in Jesus’ physical presence here
on Earth for 3 years, and they still fell short. I find this encouraging that the people who
had the living Christ as a flesh and blood teacher could still be blinded by
issues of the flesh. It is encouraging
to know that even these devoted followers of Jesus were still human and still
battled sin because that gives me room to give myself grace when I fall
short. I love this line from Murray:
The
promise is, “Where,” even in the heart, “sin abounded, grace did abound more
exceedingly.”
Second, we need to actively press on and pursue humility as “His
chief glory, His first command, and our highest blessedness.” While I can and must give myself (and those
around me) grace for being human and making mistakes, it is vital that I daily
pursue the humility Christ lived. I
cannot give up just because I know that in this Earthly realm I will not be
perfect and there will be times when I do not reach where I aim. If I am truly acknowledging that I can do
nothing of myself, then God is free to work His will in and through me. Even though I am not the perfect instrument,
my willingness
to actively submit to Him and humble myself before Him will provide the conduit
for His work in my life.
As a parent and director, I desire to constantly live in the
space between these ideas. I must accept
grace and acknowledge I cannot through my efforts achieve what Christ desires
while at the same time I must actively participate seeking Christ’s humility first
and foremost. I want this for myself and
my own journey with the Lord, but I also want to see this in my life that I
might touch those whom I serve—my family and my community.
No comments:
Post a Comment