Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Chapter 4- July - Humility in the Teaching of Jesus

CHAPTER FOUR

“My one need is humility”. – p. 41

My spiritual life

For several weeks this chapter inspired me in numerous ways, but I couldn’t find a cohesive thought about it. Until today- it hit me. The chapter title, ‘Humility in the Teaching of Jesus’, inspired me to apply the title to myself- humility in the teaching of Amy. What am I teaching about humility, explicitly and implicitly, to myself and to my children? Is what Jesus taught so ingrained in me that it naturally flows from every interaction and thought and deed? Am I seeking after humility at all, really?

Leadership within CC

In the same way, am I walking in humility in such a way that it is obviously demonstrated  (to my God) in my every day life and decisions as a Director and parent in CC? I have no final answers at this time; just a mounting list of probing questions.

Literature

“Thy life’s a miracle. Speak yet again”. –King Lear (IV, Vi, 55)

“Life is a Miracle”, by Wendell Berry, is my favorite read right now, and it just so happens to be full of conversations of humility. In the first chapter, the author refers to a landmark work which he has returned to many times in the last forty-five years, Shakespeare’s tragedy of King Lear. Berry discusses a subplot in which the Earl of Gloucester becomes blind and in his great despair, attempts suicide.

“Gloucester’s attempted suicide is really an attempt to recover control over his life- a control he believes (mistakenly) that he once had and has lost:

O you mighty gods!
This world I do renounce, and in your sights
Shake patiently my great affliction off.
(IV, Vi, 34-36)

The nature of his despair is delineated in his belief that he can control his life by killing himself, which is a paradox we will meet again three and a half centuries later at the extremity of industrial warfare when we believed that we could “save” by means of destruction.

Later, under guidance of his son, Gloucester prays a prayer that is exactly the opposite to his previous one-

You ever-gentle gods, take my breath from me;
Let not my worser spirit tempt me again
To die before you please
(IV, Vi, 213-215)

-in which he renounces control over his life. He has given up is life as an understood possession, and has taken it back as miracle and mystery. And his reclamation as a human being is acknowledged…

It seems clear that humans cannot significantly reduce or mitigate the dangers inherent in their use of life by accumulating more information or better theories or by achieving greater predictability or more caution in their scientific and industrial work. To treat life as less than a miracle is to give up on it.”  Berry, pg 10

I love this book and these themes on so many levels. I am reminded that my life is a miracle and a gift, and I do not have, nor should I have, any measure of control. Walking in this truth is peace.


And I am reminded, as I teach and experience life with my kids, I ought to pass on an awe-inspired love for the Creator and his created things… pursuing scientific method and knowledge and wisdom is useless without proper placement and perspective of ourselves. I don’t want to lead my kids to believe that they should aspire to know everything. It’s not possible or even righteous.

No comments:

Post a Comment