Saturday, July 20, 2013

Humility Chapter 4


Humility Chapter 4

1.       How do the truths in this chapter apply to your personal spiritual life?

 

This chapter focuses on Jesus’ teaching that is in such stark contrast to the world—just as the life he lived was in such stark contrast to the ways of the world.  It does not make sense to the world that you achieve anything by being humble.  The task and the achievement of power are elevated over the character and heart of a person.  Jesus’ teaching focuses his disciples (and thus us) on the heart.  We cannot love well those we would enslave.  If we elevate ourselves above others then we cannot truly love or serve. 

 

In my spiritual life it is easy to understand this idea intellectually.  I understand the example Jesus demonstrated in His life and in His teaching.  I can read and acknowledge the truth of humility being the core and pride being the hindrance.  And yet, the more I study humility, the more I realize I fall short.  In small ways, and ways that perhaps I do not even give much thought to, I act as an authority.  This is especially clear in my parenting and managing a home.  I act like a dictator.  I choose.  I decide.  I plan.  I may even have the very best of intentions, but my default attitude is that I know best, that I am the one in control.  I have found that when I am intentional about seeking to humble myself and acknowledging with my head and heart that I am God’s creation and can do nothing without Him, I AM more humble.  I serve and love better.  I serve and love well when my needs or goals or ambitions are not part of the equation. 

 

This study is really good for me.  It is helping me see the need to mindfully seek humility each and every day.  It is humbling (hahaha) to realize that this is not automatic for me yet.  I can hope and pray that the longer I practice intentional humility the more automatic it will become.  I am also finding the truth of the promise inherent in seeking humility that Murray talks about in this chapter when he says, “Meekness and lowliness the one thing He offers us; in it we shall find perfect rest of soul.”  Striving and pridefully taking charge only gets me stressed and irritable and discontent.  Humbly serving my family and those around me truly gives my soul peace and quiet and rest.

 

2.       How do the truths in this chapter apply to your leadership role in Classical Conversations?

 

Clearly, this message is key in my role as a director.  Murray says, “The authority of command, and example, every thought, either of obedience or conformity, make humility the first and most essential element of discipleship.”  Humility must be first in leadership.  I am not called to direct and lead as an expert or as an authority on homeschooling or anything else.  I am called to serve and lift up those around me by humbling serving them and coming alongside to encourage and mentor.  I see my role in a practical way as managing details for those families so that we can come together once a week and seek God in how we teach our children.  But beyond the practical logistics behind directing, I see this role as a way to serve the spiritual needs of these families as well.  I hope to serve them, to disciple them, and help each of them feel confident in homeschooling their families and in guiding their children to know God and make Him known in the world. 

 

3.       What parallels in literature do you see that apply or reference these same truths from this chapter?

 

The idea of the least becoming the greatest made me think of the Lord of the Rings.  The Aragorn character exemplifies this aspect of humility.  He serves the hobbits and serves others in their quest to destroy the ring.  He never seeks the task of carrying the ring himself and only offers all that he has—to his very life—to serve the others in their roles.  And yet, his service and his sacrifices are crucial to the success that Frodo and Sam achieve.  Without that final assault on the black gate, Frodo and Sam would not have been able to get into the mountain unseen.   When the battles are won and Sauron defeated, Aragorn is crowned king.  He served from a place of unworthiness and was elevated to rightful king.  This is in stark contrast with Boromir and Faramir’s father Denethor II who was the Steward of Gondor.  I think of the image of him stuffing himself with food and wearing fine clothes, looking like a worldly king and yet giving no thought to those in his care.  He was supposed to care and serve Gondor until the king returned and yet his only thought was to his own status and comfort and that of his oldest son.  His heart was far from humble even though he was called to serve and be humble.  Aragorn truly was the king and could have legitimately acted as such yet he chose to humble himself and serve others.  Only after the victory was achieved did he accept the title of king. 

No comments:

Post a Comment