Friday, May 24, 2013

Chapter Two

I am attempting the summary sentence.  :o)

My prideful roots intend me to grow into an irritable, judging, sharp and angry person, but Christ has given me new roots and new life through His redemption, so I sink down into this soil and believe that He will dwell and work in me to bring about humility.

In my personal life, I am going to memorize this brief verse and attempt to make it my prayer through out the day, during those times when I am either thinking to highly of myself or too lowly, for both times are really a result of pride (the world revolves around me!)

Not to us [me], O Lord, not to us [me], but to your Name give glory; because of your love and because of your faithfulness.  Psalm 115:1

And really, this is not separate from my role as a director. May it not be for my own glory that I tutor, that I might be thought of highly, but that my students and families would give God the glory.

I just finished reading Ella Enchanted with my oldest daughter and at the end, the way that Ella breaks the curse that was put on her as an infant is a picture of humility. She desires to marry a prince (who asks her) and yet she realizes that if he were to marry her, it would put him and their country in danger. She therefore refuses his hand, though it causes her great pain both physically and emotionally, in order to rescue him. [It still has a happy ending though...]  :o)

"Believe with thy whole heart that this Christ, whom God has given thee, even as His divine humility wrought the work for thee, will enter in to dwell and work within thee too, and make thee what the Father would have thee be." 

When I shared Ps. 115:1 with my husband, he pointed me to this song. Oh yeah, Latin! We're kind of nerdy together. ;o)

You can watch it here (the singing starts at about 1:50):

Non nobis domine, domine,
Non nobis domine,
Sed nomini, sed nomini
tuo da gloriam.

Not to us, not to us, O Lord,
But to thy name give glory.



2 comments:

  1. I love your summary sentence!
    ...and your insight.
    dayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your summary sentence!
    ...and your insight.
    dayna

    ReplyDelete