Friday, May 31, 2013

Chapter Two

Several thoughts are swirling after reading and rereading this chapter.

Towards the ends other chapter, the author almost challenges the reader to cry out for humility. Murray writes a long list of feelings, weaknesses, judgements, and justifications (pride) that caused me to reflect on my personal spiritual life. I am guilty on all counts of not humbling myself in certain areas of my life, which brings me to the thought of, "What if I did?" What if I did and why is it so intimidating?

Looking forward to the new year and directing a different program, I'm not sure how I might need to apply the ideas from this chapter. I will be tutoring my son for the first time - that will be a challenge for me but one that I desire to take on. According to the author, "all manifestations of temper and touchiness and irritation" have their root in pride. I'm guessing I will experience some of these manifestations;) I feel like crying out for humility right now!

I've actually been having problems focusing on one thing for too long lately so I've been reading back issues of Memoria Press's Classical Teacher (their magalog) - good articles that feed me but don't require a lengthy sit and I still feel like I've accomplished some good reading! My sense from Chapter  Two is that accepting and understanding Christ's humility is foundational to our relationship with God and our salvation through Christ. Absolutely foundational. Some of the articles I have been reading in the MP magalogs also deal with foundational truths but truths that come from classical Christian education. In the Spring 2013 article entitled, "The Shadow of God," Martin Cothran writes that "the very foundations of grammar were spiritual and moral." By the end of the article I was sold. His conclusion is grammar assumes God. I feel so fortunate to have found classical Christian education. In the Summer 2012 issue, Andrew Kern wrote an article, "What is Virtue?" His article reinforced the belief in absolute truth. Truth is vs. There is no Truth is an intimidating debate I've discovered, much like Pride vs.Humility. I believe the majority of students are being educating that there is no truth and I am terrified sometimes that my children are going to go into the world championing absolute Truth. My fear stems from the typical homeschooling parent question, "Did I do enough?" Trusting God with my children's education is my only resolve.

April

No comments:

Post a Comment